Sunday, February 13, 2011

Second Time's the Charm: Multiple Proposals in Literature

Here is my contribution to the Valentine's Day mood. :)

I was watching the British BBC miniseries North and South with my sister and sister-in-law, and when it reached the scene where John Thornton first proposes, I started thinking about all of the wonderful romances where the gentleman must prove his determination by not taking no for an answer. Here are some of my favorites. :)

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

What are your favorite stories where the gentleman had to propose two or more times before he succeeded in wooing fair lady?

                                        Happy Valentine's Day!
                                                    Lieder Madchen

No comments:

Post a Comment