Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Book Review: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Grave Mercy
by Robin LaFevers


Genre: YA Fantasy / Romance

Ages: 15 and up

I received an advance e-copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Description:

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?


My Thoughts:

This book was utterly...fascinating. It was at times brutal and very dark, but it was always fascinating. The premise of a convent where young women are trained to be both nuns and assassins was highly original, if rather strange. I was worried that I would find it difficult to sympathize with the heroine, but her feelings were so real and understandable that I couldn't help but like Ismae.

Robin LaFevers is a master at description and atmosphere. You never once felt like you were anywhere but in medieval Europe. One of the reasons that I love me stories set in medieval time is for all of the politics and intrigues that go on in a kingdom, or, in this case, a duchy. In that respect, this book was perfect.

I wondered how the author would handle assassinations being carried out by a teenage girl, but you quickly realize that Ismae is no girl. She is despised by her parents throughout her 'childhood', until her father sells her to a man for a few measly coins. This upbringing gives her the motivation needed to kill, coldly and without mercy. If she had stayed that way through the whole novel I might have given up, but when she becomes exposed to the world she learns to forgive and think for herself.

Gavriel Duval is a fantastic love interest. Loyal to a fault, it is easy to like him from the very beginning. He is as dismayed as Ismae when they find themselves unwilling allies in their efforts to reveal (Duval) and destroy (Ismae) the young duchess's enemies - of which she has many. Thankfully, Duval and Ismae have some likable and heroic friends in the form of de Lornay and Beast. (I am really hoping to see more of Beast in the next book.)

I would not recommend this book to everyone, due to the dark and at times disturbing elements, but I  enjoyed it a great deal and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys dark fantasy and historical fiction (though it isn't technically historical). The sequel will be about Sybilla, a fellow assassin of Ismae's, and I can't wait to read it.

Rating System: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence 
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).
 
Profanity:
I give it a 4.10 for mid-level swearing.

Sexuality:
I rate it a 5.10 for one fade-away and attempted rape.

Violence:
I rate it an 8.10 for multiple assassinations, multiple murders, battle and lots of death.

                               Lieder Madchen

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this one and am so glad you liked it too! I didn't feel it was that dark but maybe because I was expecting it to be super dark and it wasn't that bad. And the killing wasn't as bad as I expected either. It probably all had to do with my expectations. I loved the romance!

    ReplyDelete