Friday, June 17, 2011

Book Review #74: The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

The Grimm Legacy
by Polly Shulman

Genre: YA Fantasy / Fairytales
Ages: 11 and up

Description:
Elizabeth has just started working as a page at the New York Circulating Material Repository - a lending library of objects, contemporary and historical, common and obscure. And secret, too - for in the repository's basement lies the Grimm Collection, a room of magical items straight from the Grimm Brother's fairy tales. But the magic mirrors and seven-league boots and other items are starting to disappear. And before she knows it, she and her fellow pages - handsome Marc, perfect Anjali, and brooding Aaron - are suddenly caught up in an exciting, and dangerous, magical adventure.

My Review:
I loved this book. It was a fun, original read from start to finish with a cute romance and delightful characters. Elizabeth is a strong, clever girl with a great attitude towards magic. I love how ready she is to believe in its existence and respects the dangers of meddling with such power even as she wants to try everything out.
The secondary characters were great. There is Marc, the handsome school jock who loves his little brother. There is the lovely Anjali who's little sister drives absolutely nuts. And then there is Aaron, who has an unrequited crush on Anjali, or does he? As for the siblings mentioned above, Polly Shulman portrays how irritating and lovable one's brothers and sisters can be.

I love the idea of the Repository. To think that tucked away in some corner of a vast library are things like the mirror from Snow White and the Time Machine as written by H.G. Wells is fantastic! I am a teenager starting to think about a first job, and after reading this I really want to work in the Repository.

The plot was good if a little confusing at times with twists and turns but nothing truly surprising, but mostly it was the characters and setting that made the book so much fun. I have handed this book off to both of my sisters and I am sure they will enjoy it as much as I did.

Content Ratings: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
There is no profanity in this book.

Sexuality:
I will give it a 2.10 for some mild hints.

Violence:
This book gets a 2.10 for some dangerous situations.

                        Lieder Madchen



2 comments:

  1. Oooh... this sounds promising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. I took it for AR & got a 100. :-)

    ReplyDelete