Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Book Review: Cast in Peril by Michelle Sagara

book cover of 

Cast in Peril 

 (Chronicles of Elantra, book 8)

by

Michelle SagaraCast in Peril
by Michelle Sagara

Genre: Fantasy / Mystery

Ages: 14 and up

This is the eighth book in the Chronicles of Elantra.

I received an advance e-copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Description:

USUALLY DISASTER DIDN'T STRIKE QUITE SO CLOSE TO HOME...

It has been a busy few weeks for Private Kaylin Neva. In between angling for a promotion, sharing her room with the last living female Dragon and dealing with more refugees than anyone knew what to do with, the unusual egg she'd been given was ready to hatch. Actually, that turned out to be lucky, because it absorbed the energy from the bomb that went off in her quarters....

So now might be the perfect time to leave Elantra and journey to the West March with the Barrani. If not for the disappearances of citizens in the fief of Tiamaris-disappearances traced to the very Barrani Kaylin will be traveling with...

My Thoughts:

I feel like the series is finally getting somewhere! Upon discovering this series last year, I knew I loved the characters, but as it went on I began to wonder if the plot was going to continue meandering on in the general direction of learning something about Kaylin's 'Chosen' status or just fizzle out. This book reassured me, and now I can hardly wait for the next one.

One thing I loved about this book is that there were actually signs of Severn and Kaylin's relationship changing. Anyone who has read the earlier books knows what I mean. Will they keep to the pattern of caring but not touching, or will we get a kiss? That is one of the delightful questions that keeps you  in suspense throughout the series.

Cast in Peril starts with a bang - literally - when someone throws a bomb through Kaylin's window. Is she the target, or is her roommate, who happens to be the only female dragon? They survive due to the hatching of a most peculiar creature who is in itself a mystery. Since the emotions of everyone other than Kaylin tend to be kind of subdued in this series, it was interesting to watch the various reactions from her friends.

All in all, this was one of my favorite books in the series, but I still wish Ms. Sagara would pick up the pace a little.

Rating System: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I give it a 3.10 for a couple of insulting terms.

Sexuality:
I rate it a 2.10 for mild sexual references.

Violence:
I give it a 5.10 for fighting and death.

                              Lieder Madchen

No comments:

Post a Comment