Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Book Review #59 Random Magic by Sasha Soren (Random Magic Tour: Pirates!)

Random Magic
by Sasha Soren


Genre: YA Fantasy
Ages: 13 and up
This book was sent to me by the author as part of the Random Magic Tour: Pirates!

Inside-cover description:
When absent-minded Professor Random misplaces the main character from Alice in Wonderland, young Henry Witherspoon must book-jump to fetch Alice before chaos theory kicks in and the world vanishes.

Along the way he meets Winnie Flapjack, a wit-cracking doodle witch with nothing to her name but a magic feather and a plan.

Such as it is.

Henry and Winnie brave the Dark Queen, whatwolves, pirates, Strüths, and fluttersmoths, Priscilla and Charybdis, obnoxiously cheerful vampires, Baron Samedi, a nine-dimensional cat, and one perpetually inebriated Muse to rescue Alice and save the world by tea time.

My Review:
I feel that I have to make a note of the fact that I was smiling before I opened the book, and laughing before I started the first chapter. The author's zany wrapping techniques had me smiling and the whimsical "Advance praise for Random Magic by raving loonies" had me laughing. The package containing this book arrived wrapped in blue paper with an excess of tape. Once I got past the tape (I had to have help), there were layers of tissue paper, a rubber duck, two teabags and a piece of chocolate. With this promising beginning, I started Random Magic.

I love the way Sasha Soren plays with words the way some people play with string, weaving and tangling them together into fabrics of impossible colors and knots too complicated to untie. I read each chapter slowly, savoring each and every sentence.

Winnie and Henry are fun and interesting characters. Winnie is snarky, spunky and smart, whereas Henry is dreamy, curious and confused. Their friendship forms the most important aspect of the story, and it is lovely.

The plot of Random Magic is crazy, strange and rarely makes sense. It is also ridiculous, wild and wonderful. This book takes you on a ride through history, myth and make-believe that will spin you in circles until you are dizzy and delighted. I loved the many references to famous literary and historical figures as well as mythical characters and creatures. I think I caught most of them, but it will take more than one read-through to make sure. :)

I would recommend this book to lovers of fun, pure silliness and the English language. Happy Reading!

Content Ratings: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I give this book a 4.10 for some mild to middling profanity.

Sexuality:
This book gets a 1.10 for some very mild hints that are barely worth mentioning.

Violence:
I rate it a 5.10 for several scenes of mostly mild violence and a couple that are rather disturbing.



This review is part of the Random Magic Tour: Pirates! Check out the rest of the tour, including more reviews, fun features, prizes and general piratey-ness here.

1 comment:

  1. *sigh* so.. yet another book hits the wish list! Great review! This sounds like a good book when one feels they need a change and need a smile or two! I hope I can get it one day!

    ReplyDelete