Friday, August 3, 2012

Book Review: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1324593517l/13060608.jpgThe Girl in the Clockwork Collar
by Kady Cross

Genre: Steampunk / Young Adult / Adventure / Alternative History

Ages: 13 and up

Book 2 of the Steampunk Chronicles, sequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset.

I received an advance e-copy from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Description:

In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous.

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves.

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.


My Thoughts:

I just love steampunk. I can't get enough of the genre, and Kady Cross is a master of the gadgetry and the atmosphere that makes it so wonderful. I loved The Girl in the Steel Corset (I've read it three times), so I was ridiculously excited to get this one and it did not in any way whatsoever disappoint. 


All of the characters from the first book were as wonderful as ever, and it was so much fun to see more of Jasper. Finley gets to let her wild side out, Griffin gets to work a little bit of romance on her... ;) You also get to meet some marvelous new characters from Jasper's past. The lovely, endangered Mei who carries a bad attitude and many secrets.Wildcat, whose heart was broken by Jasper (I really, really want to see more of her). Then you've got Whip Kirby, the lawman who may not be entirely what he seems.


The story was fantastic, full of blackmail and intrigue and, of course, it wouldn't be steampunk without a hefty dose of peculiar gadgets. These books make me happy. :)

Rating System: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence 
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).
 
Profanity:
I rate it a 4.10 for mid-level language.

Sexuality:
I give it a 2.10 for hints and references to prostitution.

Violence:
I rate it a 4.10 for several fights, none disturbingly graphic.


                         Lieder Madchen

1 comment: