Thursday, May 19, 2011

Book Review #61: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass
by Cassandra Clare

Genre: YA Fantasy / Paranormal
Ages: 13 and up

City of Bones Publisher Description:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . .

Note: I am reviewing these three books together because, to me, they make up one story. I only put up the description of City of Bones because it is the first one, and therefore that is the description of the beginning of the story. If I could, I would get this series in one volume and count it as one book. :)

My Review:
I avoided this series for quite a while, looking at it occasionally out of the corner of my eye when I went to the library but never picking it up. I was quite prejudiced against vampires until I read Clockwork Angel and decided that they could be okay. After reading that, I had to get my hands on the Mortal Instruments as soon as possible. It took me perhaps two days to read them all. If anything, I liked them even more than Clockwork Angel.

Jace is perhaps one of my favorite male leads ever. Sure, he is as obnoxious as heck and there are times when I wanted to smack him silly, but he is so swoonworthy. I mean, really. Scarred, sarcastic and strangely vulnerable with only one girl who can touched his heart. Sigh. Like I said, swoonworthy. Plus, he plays the piano.

I loved Clary. Smart and stubborn, she will not let anyone walk over her or control her life. Not Jace, not her mother, not anybody. Her romance with Jace and her relationship with Simon are so marvelously convoluted and at times tragically confused. I spent all of City of Ashes searching for hints and foreshadowing that would reveal Jace's true origins. I mean, really, did anyone actually believe the twist at the end of City of Bones? (I am being deliberately vague for those of you who haven't read the series, those who have will know what I am talking about.)

No matter how magnificent Jace and Clary are, however, they pale in comparison to the force of nature that is Magnus Bane. He is the most fantastic, original, wonderful character I have met in a long time. He is so completely wacky that it was just fun to read everything involving him. Considering the fact that he is a complete opposite to me in every way, I found it very easy to sympathize with him. (Not that I am not wacky, but I would never be caught dead wearing sparkly blue sequins.)

The snappy dialogue in this series is great. There are some truly wonderful exchanges between Jace and Simon, Jace and Clary, Jace and Alec...let's face it. Most of the snappy dialogue involved Jace in one way or another. I am sure he does it for the attention.

After finishing City of Glass, I was rather surprised to learn that there was going to be another book in the series. It seemed to end so perfectly that I am a little worried that City of Fallen Angels might ruin it. However, reading through the series for a second time, I began listing the loose ends in my head and I realized that I really want to know where they lead. Therefore, I am ridiculously excited by the fact that City of Fallen Angels is sitting on the hold shelf at my local library, just waiting for me to pick it up... :)

This is a fun, satisfying YA paranormal fantasy series that I would recommend to readers 13 and up who are not afraid of good-sized novels. (I love the fact that the books are so long. The bigger the better.) Happy Reading!

Content Ratings: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I give these three books a 4.10 for mid-level swearing and insults.

Sexuality:
These books get a 2.10 for some references, innuendos and sensuality.

Violence:
The series, as a whole, gets a 8.10 for bloody violence and some disturbing scenes including the murders of children.

                                 Lieder Madchen

2 comments:

  1. Two days to read the whole series?! They must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This series is one of my favorites! I hope you get to read CoFA soon. :)
    New follower.

    Dea
    Teen Readers' Diary

    ReplyDelete