Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Book Review: Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Touch of Power
by Maria V. Snyder
Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
Genre: Fantasy
Ages: 15 and up
I received an advance e-copy from NetGalley for review.

Description:

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....

My Thoughts:

I am a huge Maria V. Snyder fan. When I say huge, I mean HUGE. So, when I saw this book on NetGalley I snapped it up in an instant. And read it just a quickly. Touch of Power met all of my expectations and then surpassed them with ease. It is easily one of my favorite books of the year.

The new world in this story is filled with rich details and history that draw you in and take you captive. Avry is a healer in a world where healers are hated with a passion because they refused to heal those stricken with the plague. What most people don't know is that if a healer takes on the plague they save the victim - but die themselves. When Avry is kidnapped from prison by Kerrick and his men, she has a choice to make when they demand that she heals their leader, Prince Ryne. Will she die for someone she hates? Or allow the land to fall into the hands of an evil magician unimpeded?

I loved all of the characters. Stubborn, protective Avry. Loyal, determined Kerrick and all of the wonderful, fun members of his band. The dynamic in the group - and the sparks flying between Avry and Kerrick - kept me smiling all the way through. I particularly enjoyed watching Avry's understanding of the world change. While other's might keep be embittered by all the things she and her fellow healer's have suffered, she remains selfless and willing to give anyone aid. Well, nearly anyone.

The ending of this novel was perfect; resolved yet with plenty of room for the rest of the series. In my opinion, this is Ms. Snyder's best book since the Study Trilogy. I would recommend it to anyone who loves beautiful new worlds and brilliant characters. I can't wait to see what happens next in the life of Avry of Kazan.

Content Ratings: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I rate it a 4.10 for mid-level swearing.

Sexuality:
I give it a 6.10 for a couple of fadeaways and a vague scene.

Violence:
I rate it a 7.10 for death, murder and torture.

                                      Lieder Madchen

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I LOVED Snyder's Study series but was fairly disspointed with her Glass series and Inside Out - so I wasn't sure what to make out of this one. But if it's as good as the Study series as you mentioned then I HAVE to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete