Sunday, March 4, 2012

Book Review: New Girl by Paige Harbison

New Girl
by Paige Harbison

Genre: YA Contemporary / Romance / Paranormal

Ages: 15 and up

I received an advance e-copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.


Description:


A contemporary young-adult retelling inspired by the classic 1938 romantic suspense bestseller Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

They call me 'New Girl'...

Ever since I arrived at exclusive, prestigious Manderly Academy, that’s who I am. New girl. Unknown. But not unnoticed—because of her.

Becca Normandy—that’s the name on everyone’s lips. The girl whose picture I see everywhere. The girl I can’t compare to. I mean, her going missing is the only reason a spot opened up for me at the academy. And everyone stares at me like it’s my fault.

Except for Max Holloway—the boy whose name shouldn’t be spoken. At least, not by me. Everyone thinks of him as Becca’s boyfriend…but she’s gone, and here I am, replacing her. I wish it were that easy. Sometimes, when I think of Max, I can imagine how Becca’s life was so much better than mine could ever be.





And maybe she’s still out there, waiting to take it back.

My Thoughts:



I found this book to be very disappointing. I saw the lovely cover and then the description sparked my interest immediately, but then I couldn't get into the book at all. The heroine (whose name you don't learn until the end of the book) comes to this fancy school and is immediately ostracized by her fellow students because she is replacing Becca, the girl that everyone loved. And it makes everything harder when she starts to fall for the boy that everyone thinks was tragically in love with Becca. But was he really?



The mystery of the story intrigued me, but the more it unfolded the more disgusted I became. I liked 'New Girl' well enough, and mostly I pitied Max and Johnny (though I really wanted to smack them upside the head). I couldn't understand Becca at all and couldn't help but cringe whenever the story switched to her. She made such a mess of her life and the lives around her in her selfish quest for her twisted version of love. I could feel sorry for her, but I couldn't like her.


I really hated the use of sex in this book. If you ever want an argument for why teenagers should remain celibate, just read this. Sex was used as a weapon and a tool, leaving you feeling dirty and disappointed in all of the characters.


My favorite part of the book was the end. Not only did it mean that the book was over, but the resolution was very good. Everything that had needed to be explained was explained, and you are left with the possibility of happiness.

Rating System: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence 
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I rate it a 9.10 for strong language.

Sexuality:
I give it a 8.10 for multiple instances of sex and touching (nothing too descriptive), as well as references to and memories of rape and teen pregnancy.

Violence:
I rate it a 3.10 for teenage cruelty and some fighting.

                               Lieder Madchen

No comments:

Post a Comment