Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Book Review #7: Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey

Wild Orchid
by Cameron Dokey



Age: Young Adult, recommended for 10 and up
Genre: Semi-Historical, Almost-Fantasy Romance

I have loved the story of Mulan ever since I was a little girl and saw the Disney movie. Now, looking back, it was an extremely silly movie with really dumb songs, but I still remember it fondly. This book is nothing like the movie. It tells the story of a brave girl who wants only to be free, but she is not the rebellious young woman with a bad attitude as portrayed in the film.

Mulan was born an unusual child, the product of a marriage of true love when such a thing was rarely seen. Her father, a great general, was away when her mother gave birth and died. He left his daughter to grow up alone, not even knowing her mother's name. It is no surprise then that she grew up wild, learning many things that a girl would not normally learn, such as how to read and write, how to ride a horse and shoot a bow. When her father is forced home at last, they do not know what to make of each other. I do not wish to spoil anything, so I will not say what happens next. This book is written in an almost lyrical fashion that is rarely seen in modern works that is oddly refreshing, as is the pure and simple romance of the story. I would definitely recommend this book to any girl 10 and up, but I read it aloud to my little brother and he liked it, too, so maybe a few boys would enjoy it as well. :)

There is no profanity in this novel.

Sexuality is limited to a single kiss, so I will give it a 1.10.

There is one battle described in this book, but it is not offensively graphic so I will rate it a 3.10.

                                                                    Lieder Madchen

1 comment:

  1. Is it a Fantasy book? I get confused. But anyway I love that book

    ReplyDelete