Saturday, December 1, 2012

Book Review: Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder

Scent of Magic (Healer, #2)Scent of Magic
by Maria V. Snyder

Genre: Fantasy / Romance

Ages: 14 and up

The second book in the Healer series, sequel to  Touch of Power.

I received an advance e-copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Note: This review contains spoilers from Touch of Power.

Description:

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.


My Thoughts:

After the fantastic and slightly evil ending to Touch of Power, I couldn't wait for this book! I love Maria V. Snyder...and Kerrick...and Avry....and Kerrick and Avry together...and Kerrick and Avry separated and miserable...OK, I'd better stop rambling and get to the actual review.

I loved this book, but it wasn't quite as good as Touch of Power. I loved the characters (have I mentioned that already?) and I really loved where the story went (sorry, no spoilers), but it seemed almost rambling at times and some scenes were just a little disjointed. I really, really loved the book, but it didn't flow in that beautiful way I've come to expect from Ms. Snyder's novels.

Early in the Scent of Magic, Kerrick and Avry split up. I actually really liked that, which surprised me. Having them apart didn't hinder their romance so much as enrich it. Separate, they could focus more on the individual things they had to do, yet they were always in the back of each others minds no matter what. Still, I am hoping that in book 3 there will be more time for them to spend kissing.

The rest of the band that adventured together in Touch of Power were in fine form, particularly Belen and one who managed to surprise me in quite the delightful fashion. Since they all believed Avry dead at the end of the first one except for Kerrick, watching them meet up again was massively entertaining.

All in all, this was a lovely sequel though not quite as magnificent as the first book, and I would highly recommend it. Enjoy. :)

Rating System: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I rate it a 4.10 for some mid-level name-calling.

Sexuality:
I give it a 3.10 for some mildly steamy touching.

Violence:
I rate it a 6.10 for fighting, murder and brief torture.

                                Lieder Madchen


No comments:

Post a Comment