Friday, November 25, 2011

Book Review: Farsighted by Emlyn Chand

Farsighted
by Emlyn Chand
Genre: YA Paranormal / Fantasy
Ages: 14 and up
I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review from Bewitching Book Tours.

Description:

Alex Kosmitoras’s life has never been easy. The only other student who will talk to him is the school bully, his parents are dead-broke and insanely overprotective, and to complicate matters even more, he's blind. Just when he thinks he'll never have a shot at a normal life, a new girl from India moves into town. Simmi is smart, nice, and actually wants to be friends with Alex. Plus she smells like an Almond Joy bar. Yes, sophomore year might not be so bad after all.

Unfortunately, Alex is in store for another new arrival—an unexpected and often embarrassing ability to “see” the future. Try as he may, Alex is unable to ignore his visions, especially when they begin to suggest that Simmi is in danger. With the help of the mysterious psychic next door and new friends who come bearing gifts of their own, Alex must embark on a journey to change his future.

My Thoughts:

This book was highly entertaining. The characters, the story, everything. Alex, a blind teenager reluctantly dealing with burgeoning psychic abilities, was richly developed and easy to like. I really liked how he never complains about being blind; it's just the way he is. However, that doesn't mean that he is above using the image of a helpless blind kid to deal with a bully. I also loved the way he puts up with his mom's silly nicknames for him. He does stupid things and slightly cruel things sometimes, but that just makes him more real. His psychic abilities present a world of possibilities with a talent for seeing the future and the present, as well as other things.

Simmi and Shapri are his only two friends and I liked them both. Simmi is sweet and gentle, though she can cause a heck of a lot of trouble if she wants to. Shapri is a little more complicated. She can see and speak to dead people but she won't admit it to herself, convinced that they are still alive. She has more spark and temper to her than Simmi, and I must admit that I would like to her end up with Alex. There are just enough hints for a possible love triangle in book two.

The only small issue I had with this book was that the plot was a bit strange and confusing at times. However, it is the first book in a series so I am hoping things will be explained more in the next book. I would recommend this book to lovers of sweet romance, mystery, a bit of action and a fun paranormal story.

1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I rate it a 4.10 for some brief mid-level swearing.

Sexuality:
I give it a 2.10 for vague hints and references to a possible affair.

Violence:
I rate it a 6.10 for some mild action-violence as well as visions of possible future murders.

                            Lieder Madchen


4 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you so much for hosting my blitz today and for writing this very thoughtful review. I love your content rating system. I've been told many times that Farsighted would be appropriate for readers transitioning from Middle Grade to YA, so these ratings are very helpful! I'm glad you like the characters and their blossoming love triangle. It will definitely be a huge focus of book #2 :-D One more favor to ask of you: Would you mind cross-posting this review to Amazon and GoodReads? It really helps new authors like me to gain more exposure and readers. Thank you for everything you've done!

    Emlyn ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed you review thank you. You answered some of the questions I had.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Emlyn I had a great time hosting for your blitz and reading your book! I am glad you liked my ratings. :)
    I post all of reviews on Amazon, Goodreads and multiple other sites as soon as I write them so it is already up. I can't wait to read book 2!

    @Marybelle I'm glad you liked my review and I hope you enjoy the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping by from Wobble Over Wednesday. I read your review and now I'm curious about the book. Can't wait to read it!

    Feel free to visit me at My Little Lily Bud :D
    http://mylittlelilybud.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete