Saturday, June 25, 2011

Book Review #81: The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale by Christine Bell

The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale
by Christine Gale

Genre: Fantasy / Romance / Time Travel / Novella
Ages: 16 and up
I received an e-book of this from NetGalley for review.

Amazon Description:
I'm a time pirate—born in 1810, now a 21st-century woman. I travel through time trying to right wrongs without disrupting the fragile balance between what is and what can never be.
 
That's why it's vital that I go to 1836 and find the man who conned my brother out of his Time Travel Mechanism as quickly as possible. If the technology falls into the wrong hands, it could change the world as we know it. The notorious Duke of Leister definitely qualifies as the wrong hands. An amateur scientist of the slightly mad variety, he's bound to figure out how to use the TTM sooner rather than later.

My Review:
I didn't realize when I started this that it was a novella (it was an e-book and I didn't look at the scroller) so at first I was expecting some sort of villain or something to show up. When none did and I discovered the length of the book, I began to treat it like a short story.

The world and technology was interesting enough as well as original. It was unusual to have a time traveler who was born in an older time, brought to the present and visits everywhen. The idea of time traveling to change little things and help the world along a bit was fun. I would like to see a full-length book set in this world with more "time pirates."
The plot left something to be desired, but because it was so short that was to be expected. I liked the Duke of Leister but Stormy was kind of annoying. However, I could admire her loyalty to the man who raised her. Bacon was just fun. It bothered me that certain main characters basically fell into bed with each other right after meeting, but other than that the romance was sweet and different.

I would recommend this story to lovers of light romance.
Content Ratings: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I give it an 8.10 for multiple f-words.

Sexuality:
I rate is a 7.10 for one descriptive scene.

Violence:
There was no violence really other than a mild case of kidnapping so I give it a 1.10.

                                 Lieder Madchen

1 comment:

  1. hmmm, wonder how i'll like this one. glad it was alright though.

    ReplyDelete