Saturday, June 4, 2011

Book Review #68: Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Acheron
by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Genre: Adult Fantasy / Mythology / Romance
Ages: Umm, older than me. By a lot.
Book 12 in the Dark-Hunter Series (Yes, I am reading them out of order)

Amazon Description:
Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron spent a lifetime of shame. However, his human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Then, brought back against his will, Acheron became the sole defender of mankind.

Only it was never that simple. For centuries, he has fought for our survival and hidden a past he’ll do anything to keep concealed. Until a lone woman who refuses to be intimidated by him threatens his very existence.

Now his survival, and ours, hinges on hers and old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both.

War has never been more deadly... or more fun.

My Review:
Hmm, I am finding it impossible to rate this book. On one side, I would give it 4 stars for great characters, plot and originality. On the other, there were many times I nearly quit reading it in the first half because there was so much utter nastiness going on.

I loved Acheron, Ryssa and Soteria (Tory), but Artemis made me want to vomit, as did several other characters. (Mostly the ones featured in the first half of the book.) Of course, these were the evil characters that made me feel sick, but still.

I found the mixture of mythology and modern action (What isn't there to love about an Atlantean god who dresses like a punk and gets drunk on Sprite?) to be fun and different, but still, there was so much nastiness that I honestly don't know quite what to say about this book. There were some points that were almost physically painful to read, and others that made me laugh. I don't know that I have ever been quite so conflicted over a book before. On one hand it was wonderful, on the other it was awful. Maybe I shall read it again when I am 40 or something.

1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I give this a 9.10 for quite a bit of strong and mid-level profanity.

Sexuality:
10.10. Way too much for me. I was skipping pages like mad.

Violence:
Also a 10.10. It was not so much the quantity of violence as the nature of the violence that earned it this rating. Imagine the worst kinds of torture, multiplied over 20 years and more.

                                                          Lieder Madchen

No comments:

Post a Comment