Friday, September 9, 2011

Interview with Mike Saxton, author of 7 Scorpions: Rebellion

Today we have Mike Saxton, author of 7 Scorpions: Rebellion, the first in a new sci-fi series. He has kindly agreed to answer some of my questions about him and his book!


Hello! Welcome to Songs and Stories, it is wonderful to have you here for a visit. I really enjoyed 7 Scorpions: Rebellion, so I am thrilled that I get to ask you a few questions. :)

Would you tell us a little about yourself?

Well, I’m a big kid. I just turned 34, but I feel like I’m 18 and I act like I’m 10. In addition to writing I have a full time job and I’m back in school via online at Capella University. In my insanity, I decided to pursue a PhD. I’m still trying to figure out why I did that. I’ve been married for 10 years (and right before my birthday, the receptionist at work couldn’t believe that because she thought I was 22) and I have a 6 ½ year old son who is the light of my life.

What do you think is the best thing about being an author?

It’s definitely the creative expression. Writing is an art form and it’s the only one I have any degree of ability in. I sing like a frog. I dance like I have two left feet. Don’t even get me started on musical instruments. And I definitely have trouble drawing a stick figure even with a ruler.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

I have two main challenges with writing. The first is that I’m dyslexic, so spell check and grammar check, as well as a good and patient editor are all a must for me. The second thing is that when the burst of inspiration comes, I have to move my fingers fast enough on the keyboard to get it all out.

Which one of your characters is your favorite?

That’s a tough one but I would have to go with Vincent because of his strange and eventful past as well as his strange and eventful present. In the dreams I had that inspired the 7 Scorpions Trilogy, Vincent appeared the most.

Can you give us some clues as to what your heroes are doing?

Right now, they’re just trying to survive!

What are some of your favorite sci-fi stories? (Books, movies, etc.)

I am a big time Star Wars fan and I’ve read over 40 of the novels from the expanded universe and numerous graphic novels. Amongst those, the Darth Bane trilogy remains one of my favorite storylines. Timothy Zahn also did a great job with Allegiance which quickly became one of my favorites. Although my favorite novel of all time definitely would have to be Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.

As far as movies go, Star Wars (and yes I actually liked the prequel trilogy although the book for Revenge of the Sith was better than the movie) is an all time favorite. The Transformers franchise, especially the generation 1 show and animated movie will always have a spot on my shelf. In the anime realm, Robotech holds the top spot in my eyes.

If you could have dinner with any three authors, living or dead, which three would you choose?

Limited to 3 huh? That’s torture. Definitely Stephen King, since he wrote my favorite novel of all time. Kurt Vonnegut is another one of my favorites, and his book Slaughterhouse V is one of my top picks. I would have to say Drew Karpyshyn would have to be in this trio since he is the author of the Darth Bane trilogy.

Thank you so much for stopping by! I am really looking forward to your next book. :)


To find out more about Mike and his books, you can find him on:
Twitter: @7ScorpionsBook, LinkedIn or his blog.

You can read my review of 7 Scorpions: Rebellion here.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent interview. Gave us some good insight into Mike.

    ReplyDelete