Thursday, March 31, 2011

Word of the Week (4)

Word of the Week


delope

Verb
Definition: To fire into the air rather than at your opponent during a duel.
Origins: French "to throw away"
Sample Sentence: Charles had meant to delope, but his aim was so bad that he hit the count anyway.
There is no German equivalent.

I am a geek. This word can only be found on Wikipedia and a dictionary for obscure words, and I am the only person in my family who knows what it means. I learned this when I was discussing duels with my younger brother and I challenged him with the word. He didn't know it, so I called out to my older brother and told him the explain the definition, sure that he would know it. He didn't. Later, I asked my mom if she knew the word, hoping that I was not as much of a geek as it seemed I was. She guessed that it was the opposite of elope. My dad, with no knowledge of her answer, guessed the same thing. (Great minds think alike.) So, I decided to post this marvelous word that can be found in all kinds of swashbuckling novels where the heroes decide to show mercy to their enemies on the internet in the hope that someone else knows it. (Other than the authors who write the aforementioned swashbuckling novels.)
Please tell me that I am not the only word-loving, duel-reading geek in the world!

P.S. Delope shows up on spell-check as being incorrect. (smack myself on the forehead.)

                                     Lieder Madchen

No comments:

Post a Comment