Sunday, September 8, 2013

Book Review: Fire and Ice by Lacey Weatherford

Fire and Ice
by Lacey Weatherford

Genre: Young Adult / Indie / Paranormal / Urban Fantasy / Romance

Ages: 14 and up

This is the first book in a new series that shows the events of the Of Witches and Warlocks series from Vance's point of view. Fire and Ice takes place at the same time as The Trouble With Spells.

Description:

Time passes . . . sometimes too quickly, other times not fast enough, but that’s not what’s important. The essential thing is what we learn about ourselves during that passage of time and how we apply it. Will we continue to follow the destructive paths we find ourselves on? Will we give in to circumstances that seem completely unchangeable? Or will we desperately fight to hold on to those we love and to what’s good inside us—no matter how terrible the cost? I only know I would do whatever was required of me to keep Portia, but in a world of witches, warlocks, and demons, anything can happen. My name is Vance Mangum, and this is my story.

My Thoughts:

Oh, I get so excited whenever Lacey has a new book coming out, but a new one about Vance and Portia? As soon as it finished downloading on my kindle, nothing could tear me away. I'm not sure which one I like better, Fire and Ice or its counterpart, The Trouble With Spells, but I don't really care because both exist and are absolutely wonderful. This makes me very happy. :)

Seeing everything from Vance's view was...enlightening. I really got a feel for his loneliness before meeting Portia, something that was spoken of before, but never really felt. At least, not with the intensity of Fire and Ice. Plus, I've wanted to know Vance's inner reactions to certain scenes for a long time now, and now I do! (Mostly the more painful moments, 'cause I'm mean like that.)

A handful of scenes and conversations are almost word-for-word with those in TTWS, only focused on Vance's feelings and reactions, but most are entirely new. My favorites were the ones where Vance and Portia just get to play and be carefree teenagers in love. Given the newly intensified loneliness of Vance's back story, these moments were all the sweeter.

Lacey delivers a delightful number of laughs and a delicious quantity of lighthearted swooning. I spent almost the entire book smiling and was sad to see it end.

Rating System: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme).

Profanity:
I rate it a 4.10 for some mild to mid-level swearing.

Sexuality:
I give it a 4.10 for some heavy petting and several sexual references, but nothing graphic or objectionable.

Violence:
I give it a 6.10 for murder and torture.

                        Lieder Madchen

No comments:

Post a Comment