Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review: Falling for Mr. Darcy by KaraLynne Mackrory

http://austenprose.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/falling-for-mr-darcy-by-karalynne-mackrory-2012-x-200.jpgFalling for Mr. Darcy
by KaraLynne Mackrory

Genre: Romance / Pride & Prejudice Re-Imagining / Austenesque / Historical Fiction

Ages: 14 and up

I received a copy of this book, courtesy of Meryton Press, in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Description:

The simple truth is proven that sometimes a gentleman never knows his heart until a lady comes along to introduce it to him.

When Mr. Darcy encounters Elizabeth Bennet injured after a fall, his concern for her welfare cracks the shell of his carefully guarded heart, and a charming man emerges. Elizabeth sees an appealing side of him she never believed possible from the stoic, proud master of Pemberley. They find the simple gentlemanly act of assisting her
home will test both Mr. Darcy’s resolve to keep his heart safe and Elizabeth’s conviction that this is the last man on earth she might have ever been prevailed upon to marry. Soon, falling for Mr. Darcy becomes a real possibility.

My Thoughts:

This is one of those delightful books that just makes me smile. I smiled at the awkward small talk between Darcy and Elizabeth even as they internally berated themselves for their attraction to each other. I smiled at the devious matchmaking tricks employed by nearly all of the characters. I laughed out loud at the rampant winking. I found myself to be in a lovely mood for the entire rest of the day, even after I closed the book on the last page. In short, this novel made me happy.

Ms. Mackrory truly did a marvelous job with the characters in this book. Darcy and Elizabeth were perfect (I know they always are, but in this story they shone with particular brightness) with witty banter a-plenty and aww-inspiring romance. Bingley managed to develop a determined streak that was fun to watch and Lady Catherine made a unique and memorable appearance. My favorite, however, had to be Mr. Bennet. There was an original yet completely believable twist to his character, both in what he did and why he did it.

There's a little action to the story, taking the form of Wickham sending threatening messages. How far will he go in his quest to hurt Darcy? I will leave you to discover that for yourself. I liked how his machinations drew out an even more protective side to Darcy.

Falling for Mr. Darcy is sweet and fun and oh-so wonderfully romantic. I highly recommend it as a story to curl up with while enjoying a cup of tea.

Rating System: Profanity, Sexuality and Violence
1 (mild) through 10 (extreme). Ratings may contain mild spoilers.

Profanity:
I give it a 4.10 for a couple instances of mid-level name calling.

Sexuality:
I rate it a 2.10 for some very vague, brief insinuations and an attempt to force a kiss.

Violence:
I rate it a 3.10 for a couple of scenes of violence, including what my brother would call (with strange and fiendish delight) a near-perfect arm snap (he has very strange ideas).

                                 Lieder Madchen

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Thank you for the review and I am delighted you liked the book. :)

    ReplyDelete